You’ve likely seen beard oil at stores next to other male grooming products, like shaving cream and aftershave. However, if you’ve never used it before, you might not be sure what it’s for or how to use it by https://www.theguysshavingclub.com/
Despite the common misconception, there’s no evidence beard oil makes your beard grow faster.
It essentially acts as a moisturizer to keep your beard soft and the skin underneath hydrated. Many people find that beard oil makes it easier to manage their beard, especially as it gets longer.
Let’s break down how to properly use beard oil, what it actually does, and what you should avoid when using it.
Beard oil is easy to apply. All you need is a comb, and if you have a very short beard, you may even be able to get by with your hands.
You can find many combs on the market specifically for beards, and many men prefer to groom their beards with wooden combs. However, any type of comb with a wide and narrow section can work.
Most beard oils come with an eyedropper or a lid that lets you pour one drop at a time. If yours didn’t or if you’re using homemade beard oil, you may also need a container that lets you easily portion it.
There should be specific instructions on the back of the container. However, here’s how beard oil is generally applied:
- Apply two to three drops of beard oil in your palm and rub your hands together to spread the oil around your palms and fingers. You may need more oil later, but it’s better to start with a small dose to avoid making your beard too greasy.
- Rub your palms and fingers across the hair on both your cheeks.
- Next, rub your hands down the front of your face so that it covers your mustache and chin.
- Go over your mustache again with your fingertips.
- Run a comb through your beard to evenly distribute the oil. Comb both with and against the growth of your hair.
- Apply more oil if you don’t feel like you’ve used enough. People with particularly long or dry beards are most likely to need more.
- Comb your beard back into place and groom it as you like.
The best time to apply beard oil is after washing your face or taking a hot shower when your hair and face are clean. Before applying the oil, dry your beard with a towel so that it’s damp but not wet.
You likely don’t need to apply beard oil every day. You can start by applying it every other day, and adjust as needed. If you live in a particularly dry climate or have a longer beard, you may need to apply more often.
If you notice your beard feels greasy, you can cut back how often you apply oil.